Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2011

U.S. Nationals - Mens LP

First of all, I would like to start by saying this was a great competition, with near clean performances from many of the top skaters.  I was so impressed by the level of competition and the way the up-and-comers skated tonight.  It really shows the depth and future of men's skating.

Adam Rippon - starts by stepping out of his triple axel, but was nearly perfect throughout the rest.  His second 3A was a beauty, and his only other mistake was on the three jump combination.  Like his training partner Gao, he got a little too close to the boards.  His spins were solid, and his interpretation was really nice.  It's unfortunate he bombed the SP, as his PCS were most likely lower than if he was skating in the last group.  153.78

Richard Dornbush - Great interpretation, doesn't look juniorish at all even though he was on the JGP circuit this year!  He is really the future.  His triple axels were beautiful, and he did not take one wrong step the entire program.  Good PCS for a relative unknown in the second last group.  He deserves to go to worlds after this performance, and I think he should go to gain the international experience.  157.85, and he wins the FS overall!

Armin Mahbanoozadeh - Looks nervous - I would be too after hearing those scores Dornbush got.  Lands the lutz, which he fell on in the SP.  Great transitions and choreo in between the elements.  More of an introverted style than Dornbush.  He is another up-and-comer to look forward to in the future.  I really like his second flip out of the spread eagle and his choreo steps.  Unfortunately, his poor short program held him back.  148.28.  I think the PCS were a little low compared to the previous two men.

Ross Miner - I like his outfit.  Interesting to start with the step sequence, but it sets the mood for the program.  Nice 3A and Lutz combo!  Wow another clean skate from a future contender (internationally - he is already a contender nationally).  I really like his elegance and poise throughout the program.  He is a well rounded skater, and I think he will really make a splash in the future!  156.36.

Jeremy Abbott - Beautiful interpretation but his worst skate of the season.  He didn't even hold his spins. I am upset, and I hope he comes back next year even if he doesn't get the international assignments he was hoping for.  This competition reminds me of the Ladies LP at 2008 Nationals, with the up-and-comers all skating great programs and Kimmie falling off the podium.  I just hope Jeremy pulls an Alissa and gets himself together for next season with a new outlook.  145.77, PCS saved him.

Ryan Bradley - Down on both quads (sort of), which were under rotated but not judged as such.  Even Scott noticed.  Nice save on the 3A+3T, but he is SLOW.  He will not receive these types of scores internationally, and if it wasn't for his lead in the SP, Dornbush would be the US champion.  151.51

I did not comment on Douglas Razzano or Keegan Messing, as I don't have much to say about their skating.  I think Richard, Ross, Armin, and Adam has more potential and more to bring than either of these two men.

Overall this was the most unpredictable Nationals in recent history, and I really wonder who will get what assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment