Search This Blog

Saturday, January 29, 2011

U.S. Nationals - Free Dance

The Free Dance was very predictable, with pre-event favorites finishing where we thought they would.

In fourth place, the Hubbells.  They disgust me.  I am sorry, they just do.  They are a brother and sister team and they just make me feel uncomfortable.  Her dress was way too low and the bottoms were cut wrong to be skating with your brother.  Also she looks bigger than him.  I do not like these people, and was not impressed.  I am upset the fifth place team fell during their footwork, because they would have beat the Hubbells and landed on the podium.

In third place, Chock/Zuerlein.  I enjoyed her interpretation and both of their footwork sequences, but was too distracted by his make-up to make any other comments.  His make-up needs to be dialed down ASAP because he just looked batshit crazy out there - like he had just escaped from an institution for the clinically insane.  Not a good look.

In second place, one of my favorite teams, the Shibutanis.  They are a brother/sister team that works, because they DON'T try to be sexy.  Their classic lines and elegance work to their advantage throughout their performance, and their posture is world class.  I can't wait to see them develop in the future.  They have made so much improvement from this season compared to last, and hopefully they can build a reputation for themselves and become contenders over the next couple of years.

And the winners are...Davis and White.  No surprise here, but honestly, I am not a huge fan of their Free Dance.  I really enjoy their short dance, but their free dance is still lacking SOMETHING for me, I just don't know what exactly it is.  I think maybe there are too many music cuts, which makes the program seem choppy at times.  This is a growing year for them, and this program has definitely grown since their debut on the GPS, but I am not sure this is the right program for them.  Hopefully it will be enough for them to win worlds this year, as this is really their "golden opportunity", but I am looking forward to a new program from them next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment