Search This Blog

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Japanese Nationals Review Part 2

Now the ladies.  Before I continue with this post, I would like it to be known that I am a huge Mao Asada fan, but will try to be fair to all other ladies.  I am also a fan of her other competitors (Miki, Kanako, Yu-na even though she wasn't there), but just not to the same extent.

Miki Ando, SP:







I love the new dress, and I am glad she was able to skate a clean short program, but I hope the flip isn't gone forever.  I am very creeped out about the Morozov kiss, especially in the wedding dress... The high PCS were well deserved, with much improved interpretation and choreo from the GP series.

Miki Ando, LP:









I am also a fan of her LP dress, and once again creeped out by the Morozov moment in the kiss and cry but.... Anyway back to the skating.  Honestly, I was bored.  Yes the jumps were landed, the spins and spirals were held, the footwork was completed, but I just wasn't interested.  The program was constructed to maximize points, but Morozov forgot to cover up that fact.  He should take a hint from, dare I say it, Lori Nichol (cringe).  At least she attempts to cover up the fact that there are going to be three jumping passes in a row right after the halfway point.  Finally I do not agree with the PCS.  I know I am biased towards Mao, but COME ON that did not deserve higher PCS then Mao!! (end rant)


Mao Asada, SP:








Not a fan of the dress, but the performance told us one thing: Mao is back.  I would have given the 3A a <, but not the loop, but whatever... at least she landed the flip.

Mao Asada, LP:






This was magical.  I really do love this program, and I am glad she was finally able to skate it without too many visible errors.  I like the smile she has been sporting this season, even through all of her struggles, and I also appreciate a dress without ruffles on the chest area.  I wish she would do a nice big triple toe where the second triple axel should be to demonstrate all 6 triples.  This way she could do a seven triple LP without the extra risk of under-rotation calls on triple-triple combinations.  The program is very elegant and shows us a softer mature Mao that has been missing since Claire de Lune in 08/09.  I just hope she keeps on improving and will finally be on time for her footwork so we can get the full effect.  If she continues to improve like this, another World Title is likely.  Keep going Mao! I believe in you!!


Kanako Murakami, LP:








This was her best LP of the season, but I don't like how her costume looks like she took half of Mao's and half of Miki's and sewed them together.  I like her youthful exuberance in the SP, but she really does step up to the plate and shows a more mature Kanako in the LP.  Hopefully she will work on her technique during the off season - her flips and lutzes are scary!

Finally, I wanted to post the LP of up-and-coming Risa Shoji:







I really enjoy her LP this season, and wish she could skate it clean because it would be a true beauty.  She has a polished look on the ice, and a solid triple-triple (Sal-Toe in the SP), as well as good spins and expressive footwork.  However, she does need to start ending her program on time - she always seems to be a little late at the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment