Search This Blog

Monday, January 17, 2011

Mao Asada: Exhibition Champion

Over the past few years, I have actually preferred many of Mao's exhibition programs to one or both of her competitive programs.  Ever since 2007/2008, her exhibitions have really showed off her performance qualities and expressions that she sometimes does not show in competition.

The first exhibition is from the 2007/2008 season, and is one of my all-time favorite Mao programs.  Even though it is from 3 years ago, the program really shows her maturity and connection with the music.  Not only does she have great expression, but she does 6 jumps - 3 of them triples (loop, flip, lutz), and 3 double axels, while many skaters opt to do only 1-2 easier jumps total.



Also, the encore of her step sequence is beautiful :)


Next is her Tango program from the 2008/2009 season.  This program shows off a more "flirty" side of Mao, and she smiles during the performance!  Although I didn't really have a problem with either of her programs that season, I think this Tango not only works better, but is less repetitive than the one she uses for her short program this season.  I really wish that Mao had used this as her short program this season to show she CAN do something other than "pwetty pwincess".



I also really like the side layback position she does at about 1:37, and I wish she would use it in her program - it is much more aesthetically pleasing than what she does now.


Mao's Caprice program from last season was much better than either of her competitive programs that year, but it is still my least favorite of the ones included in this post.  It is cute and flirty, but a little too similar to the Tango she did the year before, and I guess I was looking for something that better showed her natural elegance and grace.  Maybe if she had used this as her short program, I would have appreciated it more, but as I said, it was still A LOT better than re-using Masquerade (which in my opinion didn't work as a SP), or Bells of Moscow (maybe a different version may have worked...or not?).  Also, I didn't like how she made the program easier by doing two double axels - one of my favorite things about Mao is that she is always challenging herself - but she changed it to a triple loop after winning worlds, so I will post that version.



Finally, her Chopin Ex from this season.  I really really REALLY love this program!  It is probably my favorite exhibition from Mao.  I believe it shows off her new maturity, natural grace and elegance, and she really looks like a ballerina out there!  She still goes for the flip and loop, as well as two double axels even though she has been struggling with her jumps this season, but for the first time in two seasons, the jumps aren't the highlights - it's about the program as a whole. Both Masquerade and the Bells of Moscow were centered around her jumps and really nothing else, and that took away a lot of Mao's natural performance qualities that helped her rise to the top in the first place.  I really like how this season, not only in her EX, but also in her LP, the main focus is not on the jumps anymore - the spins, spirals, steps, connections, etc. are also important.

Anyway, I really like her white dress, but lately she has been wearing a black dress that I do not like.  The while dress is like a breath of fresh air, and is SLEEVELESS!!  Also, Mao is one of the few skaters that can actually wear white and not look too washed out.  The black dress is juniorish (there is a junior skater who has almost the same dress in a salmon color), and it blends in with the background.  I hope Mao switched back to the simple white dress so we can (1) see her better, (2) focus on her skating, and (3) actually see her arms! GASP! Arms!!

No comments:

Post a Comment