Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

Worlds 2011: Take Two

So the 2011 World Championships are coming up within the next week, and I cannot wait for them to finally happen.  The Championships, delayed by the tragedies in Japan, should be very interesting, and I am looking forward to them for many reasons:


  1. The return of Yu-na Kim.  She keeps tempting us with these practice clips, but never actually shows us any jumps.  Yes, she can skate and perform choreography well, but after 13 months away from competition, she is a real question mark on what we will see.  Hopefully we will see Kim back in top form to prevent Ando from jumping from element to element to win the title, because, as of now, it looks as if worlds may end up this way.
  2. The return of V/M.  The little bit of their FD I saw at 4CC I liked, but I have no idea what their condition/true readiness is.  Hopefully they are not putting themselves at risk for the future by returning too soon, but I would like too see them get through a whole FD before the end of the season.
  3. The possible/probable US gold medal in ice dance by D/W.  I really like their SD this year - it is one of the few I can actually watch, but something about their FD is off-putting.  I did like it better at 4CC, however, most likely due to the change in Meryl's costume.
  4. The US men.  I have no idea what will happen, but I hope everyone skates their best.  They are the biggest question mark for me.
  5. The US ladies best chance to get back that third spot.  If Czisny places 5th, and Flatt places 8th, which is do-able, we will have it.  This is most likely are best chance to get the spot back with injuries and inconsistencies with many of the other top skaters.
  6. The battle between the Japanese man and Chan.  I feel these four men are the frontrunners for podium placement this year, but the one I really want to win a medal is Kozuka.  He is a rising star following the Olympics with much better consistency in the LP than last season, and I hope he can really establish himself as one of the worlds' best.  I think the placements will come down to who lands their quad, and how many do they land.
  7. The strong Japanese ladies.  Mao Asada, of course my favorite, is building with each competition back up to form, and if her progression continues, I expect great things for her at Worlds this year. Ando has been skating well this season, but I don't like watching 5 jumps in a row with no choreography get up in the upper 7s/low 8s for PCS.  IF she adds back a triple-triple in the short, I would be fine with her winning, but as of now I would be upset if she gave performances similar to the ones at 4CC and won.  Finally, we have the rising star Murukami, who could definitely place top 5 with the content she shows, but needs more maturity and refinement before I would call her a challenger for Gold.
  8. Finally, I JUST WANT THIS SEASON TO BE OVER!! Sorry, I'm not angry, but a lot of the programs this season are so meh that I want to see something new from the skaters.
OK. Rant over.  I will be covering/giving my opinions on worlds later next week so stay tuned!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment