Search This Blog

Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Ladies LP

I am a little ticked off by some of the judging, so I'll keep this short before I start cursing and offending people.

I am truly sorry about what happened to Flatt.  I saw this as the US's best opportunity to get those 3 spots back, and she had an awful outing.  Apparently she was skating on a fractured tibia?  If this was true, she should have withdrawn, because even an out of shape Mirai could've managed 8th place.  Czisny did a good job fighting back after she fell, but that fall cost her the bronze.  She missed out on the bronze by about 2 points, but had her spins been properly scored in the SP, she may have clinched it.

Kostner actually gave a respectable performance, and after Leonova skated I wanted SOMEONE to beat her out for that third podium spot.  This time, Kostner actually deserved her marks, and her triple flip was the best of the night.  She had a couple of mistakes, but so did Miki and Yuna, and Leonova was just too tacky to be on the podium, so that was right.

Leonova's outfit/hair/everything was so distracting I could hardly watch.  Yes, she landed those jumps, but WHAT WAS THAT?  I just don't understand.  And PCS above Alissa and Mao?!? Even PCS above Kiira is wrong.  That was a mess.  Just no.  I actually like Makarova, and was sad when she Zayaked.  If any Russian was to land on the podium, I would like it to be her.  They got 3 spots for next year, but I don't know if they'll be able to repeat and hold onto those spots without the Russian PCS boost.

I predicted Miki would win, but she looked so nervous and slow throughout her program that I wasn't sure what was going to happen.  I'm glad she did win, as she had the best skate of the night, but this was probably her worst LP of the season.  She deservedly placed above Yuna, who made 2 mistakes compared to Miki's 1.

Finally, I hope bot Yuna and Mao keep their LPs for next season.  Both LPs have great potential, but have not been skated well enough for me, as a viewer, to be satisfied with both of them getting new LPs.  However, both of their short programs were :/ and they need new ones ASAP.  I would like to see what would happen if Yuna got a short from Tarasova, while Mao got one from Wilson.  Now THAT would be interesting.  It's time for both of them to branch out, and of course this would add some much needed drama to the ladies competition.

All will be right again next season with Yunamao battling it out the whole season with some excellent choreo and costume choices (costumes this year were......)!  All I can say is I'm glad this season is over so the skaters can get some much needed rest (and Mao needs some food ASAP!!).

2 comments:

  1. The judging...ugh.

    What do you think of the << call on Mao' 3A in the long?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just did a post on Mao because I was too upset to write earlier. It was BS.
    http://skateskates1.blogspot.com/2011/04/thoughts-on-mao.html

    ReplyDelete