Search This Blog

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Thoughts on 4CC

Four Continents was not broadcasted in the US this year, and since I have a Mac I had to wait for youtube videos to show up.  :/

I do have a few thoughts on the competition, though.

First of all, almost all of my predictions were wrong.  The only one that was close was my ladies prediction.  That just goes to show that ice is slippery. :)

Mens:
1.) Daisuke Takahasi - I like the new changes in his LP and his new FUSp.  His triple axels were also GORGEOUS here.  I saw him land a couple of nice quads in practice, so hopefully that will be back in time for worlds to defend his title against Chan.  His camel positions still need improvement, but the programs were, in general, the best he's done all season.

2.) Yuzuru Hanyu - I was not expecting him to medal AT ALL.  He usually has trouble sustaining energy throughout his LP, but he held it together this time!  His quad and triple axels are some of the best in the world, and I expect him to rise to contender status in the next couple of years.

3.) Jeremy Abbott - I also did not expect him to podium after his disastrous free skate at US nationals, but I'm glad he proved me wrong.  Even though he did not land the quad, I'm glad he tried it because if he wants to be successful in the coming seasons, he is going to need it.  This was a nice ending to his season, and I am glad he was able to medal here.

But I am sad for Taka :( at least he came back in the LP, but I fear he peaked at TEB...

Ladies:
1.) Miki Ando - Her programs this year are very elegant and mature, which suits her style well.  Although I wish the 5 jumping passes in the LP were a little more broken up, I enjoyed her performances and note the efforts she has made to improve her stretch and in between movements.  Also, he SP could have more of an opening instead of just skating into the lutz combo.  Her jumps were clean, high, and well-executed with secure landings (especially the solo 3T in the LP).  The only thing I think she should change is the combo in her SP.  I saw a practice video of a clean 3S+3Lo, so she could do that and a solo 3Lz to maximize points in the SP.  Also, her 2A+3T is very secure, so I bet she could do a 3Lz+3T, which would also add more points.

2.) Mao Asada - I am a fan so I was VERY happy with her performances, especially the LP.  However, there are still some issues.  First of all, her SP is...well she can do A LOT better.  Something needs to change, else she has to skate the freaking lights out for it to be effective.  The music just drones and slows her down, and it doesn't even draw the audience in like other heavy music she has skated to (Bells, Masquerade).  On the other hand, her LP is just beautiful.  I loved it before, but it is even better now.  I love the added transitions in and out of the lutz, but she needs to add speed before both of her flip combos and her spiral.  On the sal, she just got anxious and released her left side, causing her to rotate outside of the circle which is why it was fugly.  Her 3A was the best one she has done since 2008 4CC.  Overall, this was a good step for her, and without the three errors she made in the second half, she shouldn't have a problem beating Miki even with 2 errors in the SP.

Even with the mistakes, this is the program I cannot stop watching.  Just the hesitations in the movements and the comfort with the choreo/music make me feel at ease. :)



3.) Mirai Nagasu - I knew it would be either her or Alissa, but I am glad it was Mirai as this is her final competition of the season.  She skated a great LP, and I like parts of it, but on the whole it could be constructed better.  For example, the ChSp should be where the arabesque spiral is, and the two spins at the end don't work for me either.  I just think she can do better, and am excited for her to get new programs next year.  I hope she skates to something more mature, but not overused - something on the lines of Miki's music.

I thought it was interesting that the entire Ladies podium was of Japanese heritage! Very pretty picture, but they all have very unique looks - Mao traditional, Miki sexy, Mirai cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment